Monday, December 24, 2007

TFA: Deadliest Catch Redux

I’ve always had respect for the mountains. They’re beautiful, majestic and exhilarating at the same time. At the age of seven, I remember standing at the peak of Mt. Engineer in Colorado with my dad’s jacket on to keep me warm. It was an amazing view that I barely remember. Ever since then, my love for the mountains has been imprinted on my soul.

The ocean on the other hand is a different story. I was indifferent. Other than the footage I’ve seen on various Discovery Channel shows and the tranquility of walking on a beach, I really didn’t know what to expect.

When we departed Norfolk for Fort Lauderdale in early April, it was a cool, crisp and calm afternoon; it wouldn’t stay that way.

Later that night around Cape Hatteras off of the North Carolina coast, we would be hit by a late season cold front that we knew was coming but wasn’t sure what kind of weather it would bring.

At about one o’clock AM that morning, we found out.

Asleep in my rack, I awoke to the knocking of loose items and the slamming of open doors. I found myself levitating above my bed like Sigourney Weaver in Ghostbusters. When I stood up, it took every muscle I had to keep myself from running into walls and people.

It became obvious we were unprepared and the boat was a mess to say the least.

After stumbling through hallways and dancing up a flight of stairs, I finally made it to the bridge. I wanted to ask the captain how long we would be in these conditions, but just as I was at the top of that mountain twenty-one years ago, I was stunned and awestruck by what I saw.

Looking out the front of the bridge toward the bow of the boat, images of Deadliest Catch immediately came to mind. With the flicker of lightning reflecting off of the waves and the sharp, cutting beam from the spotlight on the mast above, I would watch the bow ride up a wave only to come crashing down and meet the next one head on. Waves would overtake the deck, and mist from the waves crashing into us would fly over horizontally in a left to right motion driven by a driving, howling wind.

It was a humbling experience for someone who had never been to sea before and a new respect came from it.

Thankfully, the remaining four days were quite pleasant, but that night is definitely one I’ll remember for years to come.

ER

No comments: