Thursday, February 07, 2008

Romney Bows Out

Mitt Romney suspended (practically withdrawing from the race) his campaign for the Republican nomination today.


In a charismatic delivery to the Conservative Political Action Conference, I was impressed with his selflessness and gracious nature of the speech he gave. Highlighting conservative values before making his announcement, he all but endorsed John McCain by saying more is a stake in this election then a political ideology.


Commenting on the alternative of a Democrat winning the White House, Romney said that, “In this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign be a part of aiding a surrender to terror.”


Obviously directed toward Hillary and Obama, Romney continued by saying, “If this were only about me, I'd go on. But it's never been only about me. I entered this race because I love America, and because I love America, in this time of war I feel I have to now stand aside for our party and for our country.”


Those comments alone underline the need for unity within our party and sends a message to conservatives: Get behind McCain so we can win in November.


Ultimately, Romney was quite animated in his speech and noble in his actions. Nobility and having the ability to rise above one’s self interests is something you don’t see out of many politicians in Washington, and it’s something that bodes well for him in his political future.


ER



1 comment:

Miss Haley said...

First, I think this sort of news deserves a text message since I had no other way to find out until I got to the gym and saw CNN. Second, I was shocked when I found out Romney dropped out of the race (the treadmill is not a good place to be shocked). Third, this is going to be a VERY interesting election year!